In accordance with sections 16 (c) and 16 (d) of the ICT Act 2001 (as amended), the Authority has as objects “to license and regulate information and communication services” and “to ensure that telecommunication services are reasonably accessible at affordable cost nationwide and are supplied as efficiently and economically as practicable and at performance standards that reasonably meet the social,educational, industrial, commercial and other needs of Mauritius.”
The main duties of the Authority with respect to Telecommunications are:
- Determination of Numbering system;
- Management of Numbering Plan for efficient use of the numbering space;
- Number allocation;
- Advise and assist in the formulation of national policies regarding the regulation of telecommunications;
- Follow the work of the relevant ITU-T Study Groups and attend Study Group meetings;
- Represent Mauritius in international conferences on Telecommunications.